Monday, October 18, 2010

Modern Religious Experience: Reflection #4: Buddhist Meditation

Modern Religious Experience: Reflection #4: Buddhist Meditation: "Spend 20 mintues in a silent meditation; a place you won't be disturbed, your own 'fig tree' as was Buddha's inspiration. In those 20 mintue..."
For this assignment, I spent 20 minutes in silence to meditate. Personally, it was a very hard experience. It was hard because I couldn't rid my mind of all distractions, because I wasn't able to focus on keeping all disturbances. Even though I kept reciting the mantras in order to focus, I just really couldn't FULLY only focus on the one part of the eight fold path. After many trials of reciting the mantras and trying to focus, I finally received a little inspiration. I started to (kind of) clear my mind of unnecessary distractions. I kind of had revelations of each path. For example, when I was meditating about "right thoughts", the thoughts that entered by head were about that all things in life were not permanent.

No comments:

Post a Comment